Friday, February 26, 2010

"The Project for a New American Century: Rebuilding America's Defenses," Vin Weber, and the Minnesota Governor's Race

It was with some despair that I learned that Rep. Tom Emmer has received an endorsement from former Congressman and now longtime Washington, DC lobbyist Vin Weber. In the 1980s, when I was in elementary school and Ronald Reagan was President, I admired Rep. Weber.

By the time I had reached my late 20s (as I write this I am 33), I had come to loathe Vin Weber for views he had endorsed. Specifically, Rep. Weber was a signatory to a document produced by a think-tank calling itself "The Project for a New American Century" called "Rebuilding America's Defenses." Among a veritable treasure trove of neoconservative nuttiness in this document is the following on page 72:

"...advanced forms of biological warfare that can 'target' specific genotypes may transform biological warfare from the realm of terror to a politically useful tool."

It's these sorts of views that cause me to reject and despise "neoconservatism" with a passion. Weapons designed to kill people based upon their race would be a dream of the worst tyrants in history. I judge people by the content of their character, not their race, color, or creed.

I cannot support anyone affiliated with these insane views.